The costs associated with daily operations of cooking, cleaning and feeding the public can be enormous, but can also be alleviated by taking some of the steps below:
- Conduct an energy audit to identify ways in which energy is being wasted.
- Replace all light bulbs, even in appliances and walk-in coolers, with energy efficient bulbs.
- Use automatic light timers and sensors for hallways, closets and restrooms (and test them regularly).
- Set timers on HVAC units to only run during operating hours.
- Check windows, doors and breezeways for energy loss, and install additional insulation to conserve energy.
- Install self-closing doors on all entryways, as well as on any refrigeration or freezer units in house.
- Select energy efficient equipment for purchase as the old equipment wears out.
- Schedule regular maintenance on all equipment to keep them up to their most efficient energy usage.
- Allow for adequate air circulation around refrigerators and freezers to reduce energy needed for operation.
Entegra Procurement Services regularly publishes blog posts on food trends and innovations in food services. Entegra is more than a group purchasing organization (GPO): Our team of procurement specialists implement strategic sourcing to bring the most value to your business. We help our clients, in many segments ranging from the healthcare supply chain to restaurant supply, to cut costs and consolidate their portfolios.