Cherries are expected to make a splash in the summer of 2018, with a Technomic consulting firm prediction of a 75% increase of appearance in appetizers/starter-breads and a 6.2% increase in sides and extras over the next two years.
Technomic also forecasts an uptick in the presence of peaches with a 9.3% increase in peach-flavored adult beverages and a 22% increase of peaches as an add-on to a variety of food and drink menu items.
What else you can expect from these summertime staples in 2018?
- Increase of cherry flavors for e-cigarettes and vapes
- Use of cherries in protein bars
- Cherries paired with breakfast fare including parfaits and crepes
- Sweet-savory condiments like chipotle peach dressing, peach barbecue sauce and peach mustard
- Peaches used as add-ins in ice cream and frozen beverages
- Served in Asian-inspired beverages such as peach cheese tea
Based on research from Technomic and mining of other primary data sources, this series will provide an overview of eight seasonal flavors and ingredients throughout the summer, to include incidence on menus and areas of opportunity. In addition, we will look at emerging seasonal flavors and ingredients on restaurant menus predicted for the upcoming season.
Entegra Procurement Services regularly publishes blog posts on food trends and innovations in food services. Entegra is more than a group purchasing organization (GPO): Our team of procurement specialists implement strategic sourcing to bring the most value to your business. We help our clients, in many segments ranging from the healthcare supply chain to restaurant supply, to cut costs and consolidate their portfolios.