Sustainability efforts need to be clearly and effectively communicated to the consumer in order for this return to take place. Operators can take the following simple steps to ensure that their audience is aware of their sustainability measures:
- Make sure employees are educated on the efforts in place and are encouraged to talk with patrons about them, when appropriate.
- Note on the menu if ingredients in a meal are local or sustainably sourced.
- Print menus on recyclable paper, and add a tagline to the bottom to let people know.
- Look at the decorating space and take any opportunity to use reclaimed wood for tables, chairs, décor or any other areas that can be repurposed with used goods. Inform customers by adding a small plaque to the wall telling the story of the original piece.
- Use chalkboards or signage to advertise locally-grown and purchased produce or ingredients to patrons. Encourage employees to tell patrons about local selections during ordering as well.
- Use social media platforms as an opportunity to showcase sustainability efforts. For example, post photos of produce being purchased at a farm or farmers market and detail the journey from farm to table.
Entegra Procurement Services regularly publishes blog posts on food trends and innovations in food services. Entegra is more than a group purchasing organization (GPO): Our team of procurement specialists implement strategic sourcing to bring the most value to your business. We help our clients, in many segments ranging from the healthcare supply chain to restaurant supply, to cut costs and consolidate their portfolios.